.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Dirty House (The Miracle on 42nd Street)

Friday, August 12, 2005

My new best friend....

This stuff is the absolute best! I was using regular 409 to clean, but Joe picked this up and it worked miraculously. I cleaned for another 5 hours today and I'm completely exhausted now. It's so hot!


The walls of the basement stairs were absolutely disgusting because the stairs are so steep, one must put his or her hands on the walls to keep steady on the way down.

I thought that the walls were just discolored with age, but alas, it's just dirt. Below is the before and after of the ceiling at the base of the stairs-a quick spray and a wipe with a papertowel and suddenly
it's white again. It's a miracle.


I finally managed to get the chocolate syrup off the pantry, using my new best friend and a knife...I had to dig out the paint between the boards to get the chocolate out.






5 Comments:

  • That filth looks absolutely disgusting. And then I wonder...does my house look like that? I'm not fond of cleaning, so maybe it does.

    Well, probably not. I certainly don't envy the job you've got to tackle, but you've got some really exciting kitchen plans already--and some very nice floors! Hopefully, that will make up for it someday :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 14, 2005 2:28 PM  

  • I'm no Martha Stewart when it comes to cleaning, but I don't know how anyone could live in that filth. I've spared everyone from some of the more disgusting things we've had to clean up. Speaking of, maybe I will tackle the bathroom today...or not.

    By Blogger Joe, at August 14, 2005 2:58 PM  

  • Wow- I love the shot of Gross written in the grime. I tried using Murphy's oil soap to clean some disgusting cupboards and didn't have much luck. I finally resorted to 409 and it was so easy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 19, 2005 9:15 PM  

  • I tried to clean our cabinets with regular 409, then TSP substitue, then the super 409, to no avail. We ripped out some and set them on the lawn. The neighbor apologized for taking them, then said she noticed they were awfully sticky...no kidding!!! The cabinets are on order, but won't arrive until Sept. 15-6 weeks after the order was placed. I thought about priming them, but maybe I'll postpone the move in date another 2 weeks. Nasty cabinets are a terrible, terrible thing!

    By Blogger Joe, at August 20, 2005 12:06 AM  

  • I have had good luck using a very stong solution of ammonia and hot hot water to get the gunk off of cabinets, as for the 409 I use to clean for a lady and she told me that you should never use 409 on painted surfaces that in the long run it will destroy the paint finish. Good luck with the house.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 18, 2005 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.