.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Dirty House (The Miracle on 42nd Street)

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Wanted: Inspirational Movies about Houses

I bought "The Money Pit' (Tom Hanks, Shelley Long) shortly after I bought my first house, a seemingly benign townhouse. After everything that could have broke did, and every varmit that could have snuck in did, I needed a good laugh. Then I happened to watch "Life as a House" (Kevin Kline, Kristin Scott Thomas) a few years ago, about an architect who decides to renovate his rundown beach house when he finds out that he's dying. It's a good movie in general, but it is about a house renovation. Joe and I plan to watch both tonight to get a little motivation for the final stretch before the official move in.

We'd love to find some similar films to help us along-any recommendations accepted!

7 Comments:

  • "Beetlejuice" -- at it's core it's really about a couple that love their house, love renovating it and want the "remuddelers" who own it after their death to leave.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 21, 2005 12:33 AM  

  • Under the Tuscan Sun is absolutely worth a look. I bought a copy of it because it definitely spoke to me. Money Pit does too, but it a much more discouraging way. Guess I should buy a copy of that too tho.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 21, 2005 11:18 AM  

  • How about Pacific Heights or the PBS series The 1900 House, that's very interesting if you are dealing with a turn-of-the-century house.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 21, 2005 9:28 PM  

  • Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions!

    Mr. Blandings Dream House and The Big Renovation are now on my list.

    I did rent Under the Tuscan Sun, beautiful movie I'd forgotten about.

    I didn't remember that Beetlejuice started with remodeling, trip down memory lane!

    By Blogger Joe, at August 21, 2005 9:33 PM  

  • I know I watched Pioneer House, I think I saw parts of 1900 House as well, good idea on that one. I'll have to check out Pacific Heights as well. Sounds a bit similar to "Duplex" with Ben Stiller, but that was more a dark comedy.
    Thanks!

    By Blogger Joe, at August 21, 2005 9:36 PM  

  • Hi Kim--thanks for stopping by our blog! I did find one site that has some fairly affordable shower conversion hardware:
    http://clawfootsupply.com/class209

    I hope that helps!

    And I know that the movie Practical Magic is a fairly low IQ movie, but I could watch it over and over again just to see for the house. Oh that kitchen!

    Heidi
    http://statelyenglishmanor.typepad.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 25, 2005 8:12 PM  

  • I must have missed their economy section somehow, thanks for the tip Heidi!

    By Blogger Joe, at August 26, 2005 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)
To see more details, click here.